Diabetic Eye Care in Virginia Beach
Diabetes is a condition that can seriously affect your eyes if they aren’t cared for properly. Problems with blood sugar levels can cause severe damage to your eyes after a long period of time. Research shows that with better control of blood sugar, there is less damage done to the eyes. At AAPECS Atlantic Eye Care, our eye doctors have the knowledge, technology and experience to provide diabetic eye care to patients of all ages.
Avoid Eye Problems
While we are happy to treat any problems with your eyes that come from diabetes, our first goal is to prevent that damage from occurring. We have four suggestions to help you avoid hurting your eyes as you deal with complications from diabetes:
- Control blood sugar
- Keep high blood pressure under control
- Avoid tobacco and cigarettes
- Visit our center for a dilated eye exam once a year
Additionally, there may be times when you need to see an eye doctor for an emergency, and our doctors are qualified to recognize the signs of retinopathy. If you notice any of the following signs or symptoms, schedule an appointment immediately:
- Straight lines look curved
- Double vision
- Blurry vision
- Pain in one or both of the eyes
- Trouble reading books or signs
- Red eyes that don’t return to their normal color
- Spots or floaters in your vision
- Pressure in the eyes
- Problems with seeing objects at the side
All of these symptoms can be signs of a much bigger problem, and early diagnosis is key to salvaging your eyesight.
Give Us a Call
If you have diabetes and want to preserve and protect your eyesight, call us today at (757) 340-7070 or request an appointment using our online contact form.