Many people apply makeup as part of their daily routine. With the wide selection of cosmetics available today and the current trends, more have been experimenting on different styles, especially around the eyes.
Whether you’re adventurous when it comes to trying new looks or stick with the basics like eyeliner and mascara, you shouldn’t skip properly removing eye makeup. Your trusted eye care center, AAPECS Atlantic Eye Care, shares eye problems caused by improper removal of eye makeup.
1. Irritation – Thoroughly removing your makeup is important because small particles from mascara or eyeliner can enter your eyes and cause redness, itchiness and infections.
2. Conjunctivitis – It is one of the most common problems linked with eye makeup. Using expired and contaminated eye makeup can allow bacteria to get into your eyes.
3. Eyelid Eczema – Failure to remove eye makeup can result in a rash, scaliness, itching and at times burning sensation in the eyelids. Should these symptoms be present, it’s best to immediately seek out an eye doctor for treatment.
4. Eyelid Styes and Cysts – Makeup can clog the tiny hair follicles in the eyelids. Going to bed without removing your makeup, especially mascara, can cause your lashes to become brittle and fall off, forming a stye. In addition to infection and inflammation, skipping eye makeup removal can lead to eyelid cysts.
5. Scratched Corneas – As mentioned, leaving mascara overnight can cause brittle lashes, meaning your eye has less protection from dust and harmful particles. Stray eyelashes may enter in your eye and scratch your cornea.
Always remove your make up before sleeping to ensure your eyes’ health. Washing off eye makeup will only take a little of your precious time. Don’t skip it as it’s never worth it to risk your vision. If you’re experiencing eye problems, it’s best to undergo comprehensive eye exams.
At AAPECS Atlantic Eye Care, we are your leading eye care service provider. Give us a call at (757) 772-0086 or fill out our online form. We serve clients in Virginia Beach, VA.